Why is this Mortuary Different from all other Mortuaries?
As the premier provider of Jewish mortuary services in California, Mount Sinai's first priority is the emotional and spiritual well-being of the families we serve. Each day, we assist members of our Jewish community during the saddest day of all – the day when they must say goodbye to a loved one.
Did you know...
- Mount Sinai Memorial Parks and Mortuaries is locally owned by Sinai Temple of Los Angeles.
- We operate two beautiful cemetery properties in Los Angeles and Simi Valley.
- We can usually offer 24-hour notice for burial arrangements for the most traditional families.
- We have close ties to Chevra Kadisha burial societies throughout Southern California.
- If you do not have an established relationship with a Rabbi or synagogue, we will help you chose a Rabbi or Cantor whose background matches your own.
- Every Mount Sinai Funeral Service Director is of the Jewish faith
- In keeping with the Jewish traditions of respect, our mortuary is staffed at all times with at least one male and one female employee. For modesty purposes, our female staff members handle sanitary care and dressing for women and our male staff members will handle sanitary care and dressing for men.
In addition to offering the complete spectrum of Jewish funeral arrangements, including strict ritual preparation (Taharah and Sh'mira) we also work with families to incorporate more contemporary arrangements including video broadcasts of the service and music selection. In keeping with the times, we also provide a valuable suite of communications resources to assist the family communicate news of their loved one's passing. Some of these resources include:
A customized mini-website (microsite) to honor the departed which includes their name in the URL. All memorials included on the Mount Sinai website (including the webcast of the service) will be accessible online in perpetuity. There is no charge to keep the information online.
Each person’s unique page can be customized to include the following information
(All persons and information referenced in the listings below are fictional)
- Funeral Service Date / Time
- Detailed Obituary
- Header photograph
- Webcast of the service (password protected)
- Customized Google map with directions to the cemetery
- Virtual Guestbook where visitors can post tributes
- Virtual Gallery where visitors can upload photos and videos
- Virtual Yartzheit Candle
- Downloadable prayers
Complimentary Newspaper Obituaries
Los Angeles Times (print edition only)
We offer all families the option of having a courtesy obituary printed in the the California section of The Los Angeles Times. Our LA Times obituaries include the name of the deceased, along with the Mount Sinai website and 800 number so that people can contact us for additional information about the service.
If you would like to have a more in-depth (paid) obituary printed in the LA Times, please visit
The Jewish Journal of Los Angeles
In order to inform the public in real time about a loved one’s passing, each week, Mount Sinai publishes our own obituary listing in the Jewish Journal. This is an important notification tool for the community because often The Jewish Journal's own obituaries do not appear until several weeks after the death. Our listing in The Jewish Journal includes the deceased name and the city in which they resided. There is no charge to be included in this listing.
Other Resources Provided by Mount Sinai
- Yarmulkes available at all times
- Packets of stones from Israel to leave at graveside
- Minyan prayer books
- Seven Day Yartzheit candle (remains lit during the 7 days of Shiva)
- Digital Yahrzeit web application
- Guest registration cards
- Acknowledgement / Thank you cards
- Ten year personalized Yahrzeit calendar
- Printed directory of Minyan services throughout Los Angeles